The Decorative Painter - March/April 2004
This Aztec sun technique will be the first in a series of five decorative creative finish techniques I will be presenting this year. All of the techniques can be used as wall, ceiling or floor finishes. They also can be used on furniture or as a background for additional handpainted artwork. All of the techniques are treatments I feel are on the leading edge of creative finishes in today's marketplace. Either follow the step-by-step instructions and end up with the same finish as shown or alter the designs by using a different stencil, changing colors, substituting handpainting with stencils, or whatever else you may think of.
For example, I am including at the end of this article a companion piece, which I call Man in the Moon. It uses the same steps as the Aztec sun, but I switched stencils and colors to create a similar, yet different, look. I will show an option like this in all five lessons.
The other techniques in this series will include a Venetian plaster finish which incorporates metallic waxes and iridescent paints for a finish I call Heaven's Gate. The San Miguel finish is a thin multi-colored dimensional treatment that has an aged distressed stencil involved. The name Elephant Hide describes the 3-D look of this crackled plaster technique that has the tactile feel of animal hide. Snake Skin is an embossed, scaly texture which uses metallic foils and stencils to create the took and feet of real reptile skin.
- (3) 2 1/2-inch Royal & Langnickel Brush Mfg. artist brushes
- 3-inch plastic trowel
- 4-inch Whizz roller with fab sleeve (or foam roller)
- Aquacolor Dutch Metal (Gold)
- Gold metallic foil
- Hologram foil
- Light-valued latex, or oil-based flat or eggshell finish paint (to use as basecoat)
- Rolco Slow Set Size (oil-based)
- Spray stencil adhesive
- Stain and Seal (in Rich Brown and American Walnut)
- Sun and Moon stencil, optional (item no. 270 available from Jan Dressler Stencils, (888) 656,4515, www.dresslerstencils.com)
- White Palette Art, thick gesso or heavy molding paste
- Rolco size, foils and Whizz roller products available from Prismatic Painting Studio, (513) 931-5520, www.prismaticpainting.com. White Palette Art, Stain and Seat, and Aquacolor Dutch Metal colors available from The Faux Store (800) 270-8871, www.fauxstore.com.